NOTE: After selecting this product, you will need to complete a short assessment, so we can make sure this medication is suitable for you.
Finasteride 1mg Tablets are a prescription-only medicine.
Finasteride is only suitable for men and should never be taken by women.
There are some common myths about hair loss, some which have some basis in fact, and others which are just a little ridiculous! To clarify some of the common myths and misconceptions about hair loss, we have compiled a list of the ones we hear most often.
- Pluck One Grey Hair And Two Grow Back – This hair loss myth has floated around for the longest time. However, it is not true that if you pluck a grey hair, two will grow back!
- Standing On Your Head Makes Your Hair Grow – We told you some are a little ridiculous! Despite this being a commonly heard myth, we have confidence that you have never spent long periods on your head in the hope of some hair growth! The myth is routed in the false belief that blood flow to the head will help hair growth. However hair loss is not a blood flow problem, but generally linked to sensitivity to dihydrotestosterone.
- There’s No Cure For Baldness – From the incredibly optimistic, to the ultra pessimistic. While there is no “miracle cure” that is going to work for everyone, and bring back your hair to it’s most lush, there are certainly many successful treatments. Laser therapy and hair transplant have the highest success rate, although are on the expensive end of treatment. Drugs like Propecia is a successful treatment of hair loss, and other shampoos and lotions (such as Regaine) can also help stop or reverse hair growth in milder cases of hair loss.
- Hair gel and hairspray can cause hair loss – Nop! There is no evidence to suggest they can cause balding. Also in this category of myth, over shampooing, or washing do not cause hair loss either. However, the grain of truth in the myths are that over-mechanical utilisation of hair, can weaken it. So things like using curling irons, or constantly pulling at your hair, can lead to acceleration of existing hair loss.
- Hair loss is from your mum’s side of the gene pool – While the primary baldness gene is on the X chromosome (the one men inherit from their mothers), research suggests that men who have a bald father are more likely to develop male pattern baldness than those who don’t.
- Higher Testosterone Linked To Hair Loss – The inherited problem is a sensitivity to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). It is this that can cause hair loss in men and some women. However taking synthetic testosterone can accelerate hair loss in men.
- Hats Cause Baldness – Nop! They Don’t! So whether you wear a baseball cap, or a bowler hat, you can dig it out of the cupboard again.
- I Can Grow Back Dead Hair Follicles – Unfortunately not. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. Medication like Propecia, or laser therapy, can help hair follicles become thicker and healthier, but the only option for regrowth is a hair transplant.
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet.